November 12, 2009

Miles to Go Before I Sleep

My favorite poem is Robert Frost's "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening." I love the last lines: "And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep."

Figuratively, that's what this part of the novel-writing process feels like. I know where it's going. I have a solid start. But it's going to take miles of words to get there.

Literally, I have miles to go because tomorrow I'm flying 3,000 miles so I can attend my nephew's bar mitzvah in California. He's an amazing guy. And it will be lovely to spend time with family.

I'm not travelling the farthest, though. One of the guests is coming from Australia. (See trivia question below.)

I'll take our laptop and keep up the daily updates (as Internet access allows).

Today's word count: 128
Total word count: 19,780
Goal: 50,000 words
Days remaining: 18

Today's Trivia Question: In Australia, what is a wonga wonga?

Answer to Yesterday's Trivia Question: The European country in which their national orchestra is larger than their army is Monaco.

No comments: