November 5, 2009

The End

It was a dark and stormy . . . day.

I woke to an ache behind my left eye, gray clouds outside and the painful memory of the Phillies NOT winning the World Series last night.

I had to take our son to the bus. I had to walk the pooch. But I did not have to write.

So instead, I enjoyed my two favorite drugs (at the same time):

1. Music
2. Exercise

After a kick-butt workout at the gym, I came home and affixed butt glue to my derriere. Then I revised and wrote for four hours.

During that time, something amazing happened -- the kind of something that occurs only when one shows up, applies butt glue and puts in the sweat equity. The amazing thing that happened was this: THE END of my novel came to me. The whole thing -- dialogue and all. I could hardly write it down fast enough. And then a few threads that will lead to that ending showed up, too.

At THE END of the four hours, I looked outside and guess what? The sun had come out.

Today's word count: 1,511
Total word count: 11,152 (It's over 20% complete!)
Goal: 50,000 words
Days remaining: 25


TRIVIA TIME:

Today's Trivia Question: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Oh no, that's not it.

The real question is: Which vegetable was the first to be canned?

Answer to Yesterday's Trivia Question: Fear of public speaking or stage fright is called glossophobia.

4 comments:

David LaRochelle said...

Congratulations on discovering the end of your novel, Donna...and thank you for the sneaky links to my picture book! You ARE a puzzle master, aren't you?

And I think CORN was the first vegetable to be canned.

Wild About Words said...

Ah, David, how could I not link to your fabulous, fun picture book that received TWO glorious starred reviews (and that's just what I know of)?
Tune in tomorrow to see if your guess for the trivia question is correct.

Anonymous said...

Corn?

Dan

Dan R. said...

It had something to do with feeding Napoleon's army. Maybe the lowly potato?